would you like to know how to sell it?
Are you skeptical of all the websites promising you best-seller status?
Would you like to get the inside scoop on how books are really sold these days?
Today we’re talking with Amy Collins and she is going to share with us the REAL story about how to sell your books.
Amy Collins started her career in the book industry as the book buyer for Village Green Books in Rochester, New York. In 1996, she became a National Account Rep for Prima Publishing. In 2001, Amy was named Director of Sales at Adams Media in Boston and quickly rose to the Special Sales Director for parent company, F+W Media. Over the years, she has sold to Barnes & Noble, Target, Costco, Borders, Books-A-Million, Wal-Mart, and all the major chains, as well as helped launch several private label publishing programs for book chains and companies such as PetSmart and CVS.
In February 2006, she started a book marketing company for small presses that quickly became the fastest-growing book distribution company in North America, New Shelves Distribution.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL DISCOVER:
- Where most books are being sold right now.
- The steps for selling with Amazon’s various programs.
- What’s the deal with Create Space? Should you publish through them?
- Where are readers hearing about the books that they buy?
- How do small publishers and self-published authors get their books up on Amazon and in bookstores?
- How should an author decide which venues will sell the most books?
- How long do you have to promote your book?
- How many review copies do you need to give away?
- The important book promotion lesson you can learn from Mark Twain.
- The right way to price your book.
RESOURCES AND LINKS:
Amy’s Website: New Shelves Distribution
Amy’s Email: Amy@NewShelves.com
Follow Amy on Twitter: @
Kobo – online ebook platform (especially popular in the International market)
Indiebound – online outlet for independent book sellers
Bowker – MyIdentifiers.com — for ISBN numbers